Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thoughts on a Rainy Day

I've been down for seven days with a cold.  I'm now coming out of the other side of it and know I'm feeling better because 1) I'm out of my sweats and actually dressed; 2)  I brushed my hair today; 3) I'm planning a trip to the grocery store in a little bit, stopping by the feed store first since we are out of supplements and low on grain.

Champ was the last thing I saw, seven days ago as I held him for the shoer and coughed, coughed, coughed.  Tonight is sorting night and I had already cancelled due to this cold.  Guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway because sorting will be rained out.

While the rest of the nation has warmth, our corner of the world has been sitting at 40, 50 and 60 degree temps.  Three weeks ago I was up in town and it was rain/snow mix.  Weather folks say it's the coldest spring in the Northwest since the late 1800's.

Next weekend is usually a biggie for local strawberries, sweet and plump.  But with this rain and cold weather I'd expect our local strawberries are behind.  We've found grass hay is scarce.  We're told that the fields on the east side of the State are holding off on dropping their hay because it's so wet.  If they drop it in this winter weather it's going to rot.  We're told no new hay for "awhile".

I heard that El whatever it is, that brings the tough, cold winters to us, is returning this year.  And indeed this is the time of year that we get these predictions.  Last year's was spot on.

Since we haven't seen summer I may as well think ahead.  Without validating the prediction of a harsh winter, but being through them here before, I'll talk to my husband about getting the wood we've had undercover for three years split so we can use it in our wood stove in our family room.  That stove is all we have if we lose power.

As always when my mind wanders on a day like this it always touches on horse thoughts, and today is no different.  I'm proceeding to go forward with my decision replace Cisco, my little brown horse (see http://www.50plushorses.blogspot.com/ "A Sad Day", 1/13/10; and "Should Have, Could Have, Would Have", 1/17/10).


I will replace Cisco, hopefully soon.  In fact I will replace Cisco and also keep my eye out for another saddle horse in addition to him.

Champ will stay at the stable, half-leased to Katy, who is an incredible young rider, using him for 4H this year.  She's good for Champ and I'll continue to ride him, taking lessons, going to sorting events and still enjoy the social outlet of having somewhere to go during my days here at home.

But I need horses at home I can pull out and ride whenever I feel like it, to explore our fields and long gravel road.  Horses that I can put my niece or best friend on and know they'll be ok while I ride alongside.  Horses that I can put in the trailer and join my pals on trail rides, only minutes from our place.  Horses that I can take to the cabin, now set up and ready for them, to ride with good friends. 

Yes, our Belgians are sweet, good natured horses but Sunny is feeble and I'm thinking Gus, at age seven may need a more active life then what we offer here.  A conversation for my husband and I.

I want older horses that have been there and done that, which you can pull out of the pasture and plod along on, knowing what you're going to get when you ride.  I support ground work 110% and it will always be part of my routine, yet I want horses that you don't have to round pen or fight before you ride. 

That's the kind of horse Cisco was and they aren't easy to find.  They are like needles in a haystack.  But that's ok, good things come to those who wait.  So that's what I'll be doing, looking and waiting.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you experienced a horse like Cisco that has set the bar for what you want. It will be tough, but patience will be your friend. You will find what you are looking for. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be a long, hard search and studded with disappointments. That said; Have fun and enjoy. Open mind and open heart. Look for your next best friend but refrain from comparing them to Cisco. They will never be him.

    ReplyDelete